I acquired this recipe from a friend I met recently at Kavod House. To our surprise, it turns out that we went to the same high school (she's two years older than I am). We were even in concert band together for a year. It's a small small world.
3 cups garbanzo beans/chickpeas
1/4 cup Olive Oil
Water (to consistency)
3 Garlic Cloves (use less if tahini has garlic)
1/2 cup tahini
4-5 Tbsp. lemon juice
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 Parsley (optional)
Tobasco or any other hot sauce (optional)
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Put chickpeas, tahini and garlic gloves in food processor. Pulse until coarse and scrape down sides.
- Slowly add olive oil/water until light and fluffy.
- Season with black papper, cumin, lemon juice, and tobasco.
- Add handful of parsley and pulse until blended.
- Serve with some paprika, za'atar (hyssop), and pita or carrots.