Indian Rice Pilaf with Green Peas (and optional cashews)
A yummy recipe, courtesy of my kitchen fabulous mom:
2 cups brown basmati rice
2 large onions, chopped
2-3 Tb oil
1 tsp ginger root, minced
2 tsps cumin
2 tsps tumeric
1 tsp garam masala
10 oz. box of frozen peas
water or veggie broth (or a combination of both) - amount per directions on package of rice (generally, 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of liquid)
Optional: 1/2 cup roasted cashews
1. Wash basmati rice in a strainer, drain, and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, saute onions until translucent (+/-10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
3. Add to saucepan: ginger, cumin, tumeric and garam masala and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir fry until each grain of rice is coated with oil/onion/spice mixture, +/- 2 minutes [this makes the rice fluffy and not clumpy].
4. Stir liquid into saucepan. Cover. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a low simmer. Cook as directed on the package of rice (typically, 40 minutes).
5. About 10-15 minutes before rice is done, stir in the green peas. Cover pot again and let finish cooking.
6. Let rice stand for 5 minutes with the cover on; then stir with a fork to fluff, adding cashews if you wish. Serves 12.